Tuesday, September 13, 2011

what's the point?

So what's the point in doing all this anyway?

I believe God has gifted me with a creative streak.  I love creating things.  He made me this way.  It's taken me awhile to realize that it's for a purpose.  I used to think it was just for fun... but now I realize that my fun can bring Him glory!  Man, He's awesome!

This year I have promised my son a portion of all of my sewing sales (for his goal). I have decided to donate an additional 25% of all of my sales to AMG International Guatemala, specifically for a sewing machine for one of their projects.  One of my friends from college is a missionary there with her family.  She jokingly suggested that I send her some of my pillowcase dresses when I posted a picture on Facebook.

I jumped on her joke and asked if I really could send some dresses.  I knew at least a couple people here that would want to learn how to make them and I thought we could just sew a bunch and ship them off.  Easy-peasy!

But God's plan was different.  Isn't it always?

"Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established."  Proverbs 16:3

After exchanging a few emails we determined that the dresses were not really practical for the needs there.  Then there was also the issue of what to send for boys, and then there was the issue of shipping... and all the time and energy that goes with passing along a package for this person to pack to take on their next trip to get to the right person... So we exchanged some more emails to try and discern what would do the most good and bring God the most glory.

After praying extensively about it, I decided I would start selling more broadly (instead of just at the gift shop on post) and offer a few crafting classes with proceeds going towards a sewing machine.



And I just gotta share this message I got back from my friend... this is the part where God let us know He had this all planned out.  She forwarded me a portion of an email from the director of education there...

"This news is an answer from the Lord, we have indeed a daycare center in Villa Laura where the mothers have showed interest in learn sewing and the director is really interested in teaching that as part of school for parents. So, he has been asking and praying for the provision of a couple of sewing machines, the prices of simple ones (the right ones to teach) are between $200.00 and $250.00. If your friend can help with one of these, we can try to find funds for the other, and then the day care center can start with the teaching."

So that's the goal.  To provide a sewing machine (or two maybe?) for this center...

...which will help these children's parents gain a skill that can potentially help provide more for their families! How thrilling to get to be a part of God's work, using the talents He has given me to produce a harvest for His kingdom!


Here's a direct link to the AMG International Guatemala blog if you want to find out more about their program.  Click HERE.


And here's a link to my friend Marlana's family ministry blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you think, I'd love to hear from you!